Wednesday, December 21, 2011

TOOOOOASHT!


Has it really been that long since I've written?  My brain has been too full to let thoughts percolate enough to write about them.  Well, it's time to make up for THAT.  RANT TIME!  (Note:  keep reading after the cookie recipe... formatting is screwed up and I can't seem to fix it)...

Just a few little things have happened since early August, including the fact that I got married on a carousel in Port Dalhousie and had a pierogie-filled, gluttonous reception at David's parents'.  Now THAT was good times.  Best day ever.  I am so not one of those girls who dreams about wedding dresses and weddings (bluhgk), but man, I so WAS one of those girls.  I am embarrassed at the amount of bridal magazines I bought, and the number of dress links I sent to the girls in the wedding.  You wanna see a FEW pics, you say?  Ok, if you insist...



Love.

That sums it up right there.  Awesomeness.

With David's parents, Keith and Irene.  J'adore.



With my best bud, Becky (aka. Bee, Beak, Beaker).  Soul mates since grade 8.  ;)




Ok, now, food.  I need to share some very important discoveries in our local London eateries.

1.  Family Circle restaurant on Wellington.  Still addicted as ever.  Cannot handle the hilarious waitresses with their big bright lips and pronunciation of the word toast:  "TOASHT".  Amazing.  The sausages (which I have been banned from eating due to the fact that they do not... agree with me, shall we say... are out of total control.  They are delicious enough to convert the most die-hard sausage-hater.  I don't know which is better, the food or the service.



2.  I have heard about the Malibu restaurant for years now, about their epic chocolate cake, in particular.  Well, howzzabout their EPIC PANZEROTTI BECAUSE OMG DON'T EVEN.   I don't even really like panzerotti that much, as they are usually undercooked, the sauce is lame, the veggies are too crispy, like, they're just lame.  BUT THIS?  Stop.  And go.


3.  I made mom's scotch cookies yesterday and man oh MAN.  These are the cookies that were made in abundance every Christmas, and which Santa devoured along with his milk every Christmas eve.  They are so hallowed that I haven't dared to make them.  Until this year.  And I've only eaten 8 so far.  Too bad I don't like them anymore... 

Mom's "scotch cookies" with my new Xmas oven mitt and the Best Icing I Have Ever Made.

Perfection.




 Joonie's Scotch Cookie Recipe (aka. Crack for Santa)




















4.  On a bit of a healthier note, my reflexologist Christie Szabo (amazing) gave me a recipe for homemade granola that is super easy.  Very rarely are things as good for your taste buds as they are for your  "plumbing", but this stuff is.... (resist making pun on the word crack... resisting... resisting...) CRACK FOR YOUR CRACK.  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.   Ok I'm alright.  Here's the recipe:

a bag of oats (I get organic oats)
1/3 cup or so of honey
1/3 cup of so of olive oil
throw in some cinnamon
1/3 cup roasted sunflower seed
sliced almonds
sultana raisins
(whatever you like in granola basically)

You put it on a baking sheet with sides, and cook for 45 minutes at 250 degrees.  Stir it a time or two and presto.  Deliciousness.  I store it in big glass jars that we find at HomeSense.  Amazing with some milk and fruit for breakfast.  



5.  Where is the snow?  Seriously, where is it?  I can't deal.  I am trying hard to make things feel festive but dude, we need some fluffy white snow NOW.

6.  Ok.  Now listen.  What is up with all the douchebag men's "shawl collar" men's sweaters?  Omg HATE.  Like, all I want to find it a simple, thick, black cotton turtleneck.  IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS DIFFICULT.  

7.  My amazing hairdresser Aron has opened his own salon.  You know That Haircut that makes you say "Where have you been all my life?"  That is Aron.
 
http://vanityhouse.ca/


8.   Apparently this is the best and most effective natural deodorant "out there". Despite my disdain for lemon, I will be trying this due to the very convincing recommendation made by Gill Deacon in "There's Lead in Your Lipstick" (aka. Best Book Ever).

http://www.crawfordskincare.com/


9.  Not that I dye my hair, and not that I know anything about silver hairs, but from what I... hear... this is the best hair dye I have ever... heard about  from... a ... friend... yeah, that's it.



I HEAR they sell it at Covent Garden at the health food store, and I HEAR the results are fabulous ...

;)