Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Walk with Tan.

Walking is awesome.  I really dislike (thumb down) exercise.  Yet, when I do it, I love it.

About a month ago I started using www.sparkpeople.com for REALZ, tracking food and changing my thinking.  I need to stop being ALL or NOTHING about EVERYTHING.  THAT is my hugest (yes, hugest) obstacle to being at my optimal weight, and hugest obstacle to, well, pretty much everything.  I am the type that goes, "Ah FRIGG, I ate a bite of that cake.  Why did I go and do that.  Why did I have to RUIN THE DAY.  Well, I've ruined it now.  I might as well eat the whole effing cake."  Or this brilliant one:  "I can't do that better than everyone else in the whole world, so why even bother trying."  And the classic: "I can't sight-read that perfectly and instantly.  What is WRONG with me.  I suck."

Yeah.

No more.  This is literally the first time in my life that I feel my thinking is starting to clarify and stabilize.  Becoming less extreme is something I've always heard talked about (often in the context of "You know, you really do need to be less extreme about everything"), but never cared to change because it was FUN being extreme.  Until it affected my health and happiness.  So screw being extreme.  I'm totally going 100% all-out NON-extreme.

Hee hee.

So I've started walking 10 minutes a day.  And because I feel so good about myself for walking 10 minutes a day, I've started doing weights 10 minutes a day.  Except that it's not just 10 minutes.  I'm enjoying myself (and my tunes) so much, the walk turns into 20 minutes (and sometimes, yes, sometimes even into a JOG!!!  Ya, I KNOW.)  And don't get me going on how much I love weights.  I used to go to the gym all the time and I lived for the weights (Kurt, that was for you).  Talk about feeling STRONG.  Love it.

So today, even though I ate pad thai and fresh rolls, I walked for 15 minutes, and did weights and ate very moderately.  I had a great lunch with a great friend at my favorite restaurant (Yes Lisa, it was Quynh Nhi, hello), exercised, and feel awesome about myself.  And when I feel good about myself, I don't want to ruin that by gorgeing and scoffing.

Teehee.  Scoff.

3 comments:

  1. YAY - for Q-N...definitely worth the "splurge"...

    Yes, LOVE walking (not so much when it's SO DARNED HOT)...might have to consider weights...my Mom does 'em, and she's 76...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking is great. I will have to join you some time.

    ReplyDelete