Sunday, August 15, 2010

KFC: Show me some skin!

I loathe picnics, and most group activities.  I think the discomfort I experience in group settings comes from a) being overweight as a kid, b) being super sensitive and socially uncomfortable as a kid, c) being an Only Child, d) did I mention being overweight as a kid?

So this weekend I made myself go to a family picnic (David's family, obvs.).  I had a list of reasons why I couldn't go.  Too much work to do.  Too tired.  Hate water fights and beach games and whatever other embarrassing activities which might take place and make me look like a fool.  (Let's not discuss gym class or physical activities, I think we all know how THAT turned out.)  I thought I was getting sick (totally psychological).  They'd have more fun without me there ruining it by my non-fun-ness.  You name it, I likely had it on my list.

But I went.

It did not start well.  I loathe being late for ANYthing.  I am always at least 15 minutes earlier for EVERYthing.  I need that time to settle into the environment, get a feel for who's around me and get a sense of the vibe.

We got there 1.5 hours late.  Everyone was waiting for us.  The food was cold.

Now, in my experience of group picnics (sometimes with family, but mostly church picnics over the years), everyone lays out the food, and if you get there late, sucks to be you type deal.  So I ASSUMED this would be the same.

Talk about embarrassing.  I was sitting there in the car, totally mortified, deciding whether just to drop them off, then TAKE off so I wouldn't have to face the commentary and passive aggressive messages about people having to wait for us, etc.

But something made me stay.  And I am so glad I did.

It's funny how our past experiences almost completely colour our present and potentially future experiences.  It took me about an hour and a half before I realized there was going to be no verbal punishment for our late arrival.  About 3 hours in, I realized I wasn't going to be forced to run around averting water guns.  It was just about being there.  With family.  Doing nothing except BEING.  And eating KFC chicken.  Which I couldn't have (the GALL!)

Ok, can I just take a moment to discuss the gloriousness and grossness of KFC chicken and its skin?  I would have loved to peel (eww) all the skin off the chicken pieces and just eat it ALL.  What kind of crack do they put IN that stuff, seriously?

Ok, back to doing nothing.  Being and nothingness.  Everyone was just sitting around relaxing, enjoying being with each other.  Like in a movie or something.  Watching our son playing in the water with his grandparents... how do you describe THAT?  There's the lump in the throat...

I don't really know what the heck I'm writing about tonight.  But I know that I made myself do something uncomfortable this weekend, something I dreaded BASED ON THE PAST.  Because I made THAT choice, I had two great days where I didn't think about work (well, I at least TRIED not to think about it... that counts doesn't it?), and I really feel so much closer with everyone that was at the picnic.  Ughhh... even the word... pick... nick.  Yuck.  Picnic.  How's about Outdoor Feast.  Ahhh, there it is.  ;)

You know what, I'm going to go on a rant about phys. ed. class tomorrow.  Phys Ed class, and the "Dining Hall" skipping song.  Don't even GO there.  Omg, that's going to be hilarious.

The SuperSoaker

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the water guns come out and sometimes they don't. lol No one is ever forced to participate because we need lots of people in the audience to laugh at us. Glad you had a good time. Nana had a great time in teh lake with her "little man".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next year we will call it the OUTDOOR FEAST. It will have all the components of the pick nick but this time I will ONLY eat the KFC chicken SKIN! lol

    ReplyDelete